This salsa is from the top secret recipe website and tastes VERY close to Chevy's salsa.
8 medium tomatoes
6 jalapenos (red is best, but green is fine)
1/4 of a medium red onion
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
2 T. chopped fresh cilantro
2 T. white vinegar
2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. mesquite-flavored liquid smoke
- Preheat your barbeque grill to high temperature.
- Remove stems from tomatoes, wash, and rub with oil. You can leave the stems on the jalapenos.
- Place tomatoes and jalapenos on grill for about 15 minutes and flip- grill another 10 minutes or until they start getting black and the skin starts falling off the tomatoes. Place them on a plate to cool completely.
- When cooled, peel remaining skin off tomatoes, and pinch the stem off jalapenos. You may want to cut jalapenos and remove some seed depending on how HOT you like your salsa (I leave one jalapeno in tact and remove the seeds from the others usually.) Toss out the liquid that remains on the plate.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and puree for about 5 seconds until blended.
- Vita Mix Note: If you have a Vita Mix- start with a clean dry container, turn vita mix to variable 5: drop garlic through hole in top of lid and it will dice perfectly. Then add ingredients to garlic in the following order: onion, cilantro, jalapenos, tomatoes, vinegar, salt, liquid smoke. Blend on variable 4 for 3 or 4 seconds using the tamper if necessary.